Friday, September 18, 2009

Fair Isle


I've been working a test swatch from the book Sheep to Shawl from Philosopher's Wool, and am happy with the results so far. The method is 2-handed Fair Isle, and was tricky to get the hang of, at least for me.

Unfortunately, I misread the pattern and did a yarn over to increase, when that's not how it was supposed to go. I emailed Philosopher's Wool to find out what I did wrong, and they are wonderful for replying when you have questions. Here is the swatch I'm working on, mainly to get the hang of weaving the colours in on the wrong side of the work. Fair Isle is easy... getting the loose yarn woven in is a bit more tricky. I think it'll be easier once I get it onto the circulars and don't have to purl.

I'm going to be trying out a new swatch with Ann's increase instructions to see how it goes. Once I'm no longer afraid of screwing it up, I'll be purchasing yarn to make my first Fair Isle shawl.

No comments: